[techtalk] Changing the Console Video Mode

Jamie Walker jj.walker at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Feb 7 10:23:52 EST 2000

GJS wrote:

> Not wearing glasses won't work for me. In fact, my opthamologist
> told me that many of his patients who wear bifocals and work
> with computers end up having to get "computer" glasses. Looks
> like I'm headed that way :-<

I received a new prescription for glasses last week, and my optometrist
told me that in the years since my previous prescription, my eyes had
actually gotten _better_ and that this is apparently not uncommon for
heavy computer users. I was surprised!

> I've noticed that some electronic equipment can have a acrid
> odour. I'm guessing at this, but it might be the plastic the
> manufacturer uses. I've experienced this occasionally with
> various devices (clock-radios, etc). Not only does it smell
> strong, it makes my eyes burn. Now that I've switched back to my
> old monitor, my eyes aren't burning as much. The solution is
> simple--I'll try a different manufacturer's monitor.

Another source of eyestrain that isn't immediately obvious: having fans
to your left or right blowing across you. It seems the airflow across
the eyes tends to dry them out or something, because I only have this
problem when there is a fan in such a position.

--
Phone: +64-9-373-7599 x4679     Room: 2.316, School of Engineering
 Work: jj.walker at auckland.ac.nz Home: jamiew at clear.net.nz
  ICQ: 5632563			or shout loudly