[techtalk] Changing the Console Video Mode

GJS g_jay_s at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 6 02:15:04 EST 2000

And I thought *I* had bad eyes! ;->

I switched back to my 15" monitor and my problems stopped. That
doesn't mean I'm giving up on the bigger monitors--it was nice
not having to scroll sideways so much. However, there's no
question in my mind that the larger size of the 17" monitor
threw off my line of vision.

The solution might be a new chair. The one I'm using won't go
high enough. Instead of looking slightly down at the monitor as
I usually do, I was looking slightly up (that really messes up a
bifocals wearer).

Not wearing glasses won't work for me. In fact, my opthamologist
told me that many of his patients who wear bifocals and work
with computers end up having to get "computer" glasses. Looks
like I'm headed that way :-<

In the meantime, I'll fiddle with the fonts and see if I can
tweak the 15" monitor a bit and get a comfortable 800 x 600. At
least the console mode looks better now (and as we all know,
only sissies use a GUI, anyway). ;->

I'm going to return that 17" monitor (it's a ViewSonic A70). It
was causing another problem for me. This may sound strange, but
it smelled bad. (Well, I *did* say it would sound strange!)

I've noticed that some electronic equipment can have a acrid
odour. I'm guessing at this, but it might be the plastic the
manufacturer uses. I've experienced this occasionally with
various devices (clock-radios, etc). Not only does it smell
strong, it makes my eyes burn. Now that I've switched back to my
old monitor, my eyes aren't burning as much. The solution is
simple--I'll try a different manufacturer's monitor.

I'm not the only one who notices this kind of thing, am I?

At any rate, thanks to everyone for your input.

=====
Glen Strom
g_jay_s at yahoo.com
http://im.yahoo.com