[techtalk] Re: Computer Books

Jillian-Beth Stamos-Kaschke jbsk at metis.de
Thu Dec 28 17:24:19 EST 2000

For German Debian users, there's an extremely handy book by Peter
Ganten, and another one just out by Frank Roenneburg, which is
included on one of the Lehmanns distribution CDs.

As far as I recall, O'Reilly announced somewhere on their website
that the X book isn't going to be published after all, which is
rather disappointing. The only other books on the subject (using
X rather than programming applications for it) I can recall (apart
from sections in books on Linux in general) are "X power tools"
(which seems to be out of print) and "The X window system users'
guide" (which focuses on mwm).

One book that I use pretty often and which hasn't been mentioned
so far is "Unix power tools" which I love, mainly for the fact
that it contains things that I regularly need (which may or may not
be included in other books; the thing I like about this book is
that everything is in one place).

Another book I would recommend to anyone working with Unix systems
is "Practical Unix and Internet security" by Gene Spafford, mainly
because he's been around for so long he knows what he's talking
about, even if some of the material is dated (the book was published
in 1996, if I remember correctly).

Oh, and both books are published by O'Reilly (duh!).

Jillian.