[techtalk] converting vinyl to digital

Martin.Caitlyn at epamail.epa.gov Martin.Caitlyn at epamail.epa.gov
Wed Dec 13 15:28:50 EST 2000

Hi, Kathryn,

> For those of us who grew up in the pre-CD days, what do you use to
convert your
> collection of vinyl albums to a digital format? I've got about 500 albums
that
> I would love to convert if for no other reason than reduce the continuing
wear
> and tear of them.

> I'm assuming that I'll need a soundcard with stereo inputs, something to
record
> from the line in,  possibly some software to remove/reduce crackles and
such,
> etc.  What is everyone else using?

Actually, I'm using a non-computer based solution.  About four and a half
years ago I bought an MD (minidisc) recorder, and I am *very* impressed
with the format.  Basically, it's CD quality in an even smaller, recordable
package.  Even nicer, when you use it in an MD walkman or a car stereo it
doesn't skip the way CDs do when you hit a bump or move in even a
moderately brisk way.  I am *very* sold on the format, and the prices have
come way down.  Best Buy has had some excellent deals on MD recorders, some
with built-in CD players for direct digital cloning.  Blank discs
themselves can be found for just under $2 each for the 74 minute length,
and a bit more (maybe $2.60) for the 80 minute length when you buy 5 or 10
at a time.

There are some records I had just worn out that are *still* out of print
and never were reissued on CD.  My copy of the one and only album by
Moustaki & Flarick, a real favorite of mine, comes to mind immediately.  At
least now I have digital copies and the sound quality isn't deteriorating
any further.

Also, I used to travel internationally for work a *lot*.  I can't sleep on
planes and at times had to go to places like Bandung, Indonesia, which
meant 24 hours in transit from New York, where I lived and worked at the
time.  Even travelling business or first class, 24 hours in planes and
airports with no sleep gets to me.  MDs are so tiny that I could take the
player and maybe 50 of them in my carry-on.  It was so very nice to have my
favorite music along.

There is also an active online MD trading (bootlegging) culture :)

FWIW, I would copy this to Grrltalk, since if we continue an MD thread it
really doesn't fit here on TechTalk any more.  I can't because I'm
responding from work.

All the best,
Caity

Caitlyn M. Martin             martin.caitlyn at epa.gov
Systems Analyst              (919) 541-4441
Lockheed Martin
(a contractor for the US EPA)

                    kjh at flyballdo
                    gs.com               To:     techtalk at linuxchix.org
                                         cc:
                    12/12/00             Subject:     [techtalk] converting vinyl to
                    03:02 AM             digital

For those of us who grew up in the pre-CD days, what do you use to convert
your
collection of vinyl albums to a digital format? I've got about 500 albums
that
I would love to convert if for no other reason than reduce the continuing
wear
and tear of them.

I'm assuming that I'll need a soundcard with stereo inputs, something to
record
from the line in,  possibly some software to remove/reduce crackles and
such,
etc.  What is everyone else using?

While I'm at it, if anyone happens to know where I can a digital copy of
"Whatcha doin' to me?" by The Reds (1979) please let me know.  Nothing has
come up on Napster.

Kathryn Hogg