[techtalk] converting vinyl to digital

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Tue Dec 12 21:51:21 EST 2000

On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 02:02:35PM +0600 or thereabouts, Kathryn Hogg wrote:
> For those of us who grew up in the pre-CD days, what do you use to convert
> your collection of vinyl albums to a digital format? I've got about 500
> albums that I would love to convert if for no other reason than reduce
> the continuing wear and tear of them.

I have seen mention of a GPL'd program called GramoFile (find it at
http://panic.et.tudelft.nl/~costar/gramofile/) and I'm told it's very
neat, but I have never tried it.

Overview from that page:
       GramoFile is a computer program, running under the Linux operating
       system (and some other UNIX-like OSses -- and even DOS/Windows
       now!), with the main goal of putting the sound of for example
       gramophone records on CDs. It is able to record hours of CD
       quality music, split long sound files in separate tracks, and
       remove ticks and pops from recordings.

I'd be interested in any people's experience with this or similar
programs, as I am in a similar position to Kathryn: lots of vinyl
albums, some of which are getting a bit battered and others of which
are unlikely to be re-released in CD format.

Telsa