[techtalk] Sendmail 554 buildaddr: no host

David Merrill dmerrill at lupercalia.net
Wed Dec 6 11:41:37 EST 2000

On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 10:20:33AM -0500, Angela Nash wrote:
> Your mail server seems to be fine, it just doesn't like the <> test address.
> When I manually connected and put in a normal From address it took it fine.

The problem was intermittent, so the fact that you had no problem
didn't prove it was resolved or nonexistent. Believe me, I *was*
bouncing mail with error 554.

I found the problem, or more accurately, I found a solution to the
problem even though I never really identified the problem. I use
linuxconf to do my sendmail configuration, because sendmail.cf gives
me shudders. While Googling(tm), I came across a mail archive which
said there was a known bug in the version of linuxconf which shipped
with RH6.2 (1.13, I think although I no longer have it installed and
can't check).

I installed the newest version of linuxconf, ran "linuxconf --update",
and now all is well. Whatever screwey thing linuxconf had done to my
configuration file is now fixed, I'm receiving all my mail, and all is
right with the world.