[techtalk] VMWare Question

Britta Koch bkoch at rz.uni-osnabrueck.de
Thu Aug 24 20:57:31 EST 2000

On 24 Aug, Lyric . wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I'm just wondering if anyone out there has any experience with VMWare for
> Linux 2.0.
>
> I'm thinking about purchasing it and installing it at home so I can run
> Windows if I need to.

I'm using it at work with a Celeron 300 and 256 MB RAM. So I think
you'll be OK on the processor side, but might want to be careful with
that RAM. Depends on what Windows you're installing (I got Win2000 with
128 MB) and how many swap space you've got - you don't want to run out
of swap space! But Netscape actually takes up more memory after running
for 3 hours than vmware - so I should think you'll be ok.

Anything else wth vmware was really easy - use the configuration
wizard, and if you have extra wishes, just play around with it! Oh, and
by all means install the vmware graphics drivers, as they do help a
lot. I've also tried not to swap workspaces when I'm using vmware,
since it crashed my X when I did that (without the drivers, though).

HTH,

Britta

--
  /"\  . . . . . . . . . . . . . britta at linuxchix.org . . . . . . . . . . . . .
  \ /   ASCII Ribbon Campaign     "Wer mit der Speckseite nach der Wurst wirft,