[techtalk] VMWare Question

Sheryl Weidner saska at noogie.com
Thu Aug 24 11:35:06 EST 2000

Hello,

If you have the occasional need to run Windows applications (like Office
apps, Photoshop, etc.) but no hardcore Windows needs (like playing games,
using NetBEUI networking, etc.), VMWare may be overkill for you.  You may
also find that with your system configuration, your resources are severely
taxed by VMWare, since it allocates disk, memory and processor for Windows
which it takes away from your Linux system.

An alternative (this is half-plug - I occasionally consult for these
people, but I also use their product) would be Win4Lin from TreLOS
Software.  It runs Windows in an X-window on your desktop, and doesn't
separate the memory/drive/processor allocation from Linux.  So in addition
to being able to have all of your Windows files accessible even when
you're not running Windows, the performance is considerably better than
VMWare on a desktop-class machine.

Their version 1.0 product is currently on firesale at $35 (version 2.0
will be out in October, and 1.0 owners get a free upgrade to 2.0).
Version 1.0 doesn't include sound support, but 2.0 does.  They're at:

http://www.trelos.com/

You can also download an evaluation version of the software if you want to
try before you buy.

Here's a link to their white paper, which also talks about differences
between Win4Lin and VMWare (besides the price tag):

http://www.trelos.com/trelos/Trelos/Products/Win4Lin_Whitepaper.htm

Hope this helps,
Saska