[techtalk] re: Where's your favorite place to get software?

Magni Onsoien magnio+techtalk at pvv.ntnu.no
Sat Aug 19 18:09:49 EST 2000

pheret werks:
> i would highly suggest NOT buying software and getting it online . . .
> well, that's how i do it . . . go to www.freshmeat.net,
> www.linuxberg.com, do a search for software, it's absolutely amazing
> what you can find out there.  i can recommend something for just about
> anything you might need!  whoohoooo!!!
>
> okay, i get a little enthusiastic and i also get a wee bit irritated at
> the whole distribution scene right now . . . way too microsofty . . . of
> course, i could be opening a whole can o' worms here . . .

Programmers need food, too.

> my point is, if you are poor (like me) then go get the software online!

Of course. But any company or more wealthy person should buy a version
of the distribution/program or give a donation to the folks developing
them, in order to ensure they are able to continue the development.

You may get good software also if the programmer works fulltime for a
company and develop his/her own piece of software (that you use) in the
weekends, but it's less likely compared to if the programmer can
dedicate more time to the project.

Free software isn't necessarily free as in "free beer".

Magni :)
--
ulimit is good for you.