[techtalk] insmod, RH62 SMP

Will Ware wware at world.std.com
Sat Aug 19 09:30:56 EST 2000

I'm having some trouble building a device driver on a RH62 SMP box and
getting it to load. Apparently the symbols are named differently under
SMP. I had seen a recommendation somewhere to use the kernel source
tree makefiles to build the device driver, so I tried that, but it
didn't help. (Perhaps this is because I never bothered to build my own
kernel, just took the SMP kernel that came up automatically during the
installation.)

I think I have three options: (1) Reinstall RH62 with a non-SMP kernel.
(2) Build and install a non-SMP kernel so I don't need any tricky
makefiles. (3) Build and install a SMP kernel so that that makefiles
in my /usr/src/linux area are properly configured for SMP, and I can
borrow them to build the device driver. I don't really need the
performance of two processors, so if my reasoning thusfar is reasonable,
the easiest and least destructive thing to do is option 2. So I guess
my question is, is my reasoning thusfar reasonable? Thanks for any
insights.
# Resistance is futile. Capacitance is efficacious.
# Will Ware	email:    wware @ world.std.com