[techtalk] RPMs

Malcolm Tredinnick malcolm at commsecure.com.au
Sat Aug 19 22:06:44 EST 2000

On Sat, Aug 19, 2000 at 06:01:51AM -0500, WolfRyder wrote:
> I was all set to install the new KDE2 and StarOffice. After getting
> instructions here...(very clear, btw, thank you!) I followed them to
> discover to my dismay the program to unpack (is that the right word)
> and install rpms didn't get installed during initial setup of my SuSE
> 6.4.

Do you mean it is saying something like "Package Foo needs package Bar"?
I'm not quite sure what you mean otherwise.

> So, I tried installing it...but it wouldn't do it! I'm going crazy here.
> The install kept telling me there were 3 packages that weren't associated
> (or something like that.) I recognized them from a couple of games I had
> attempted to install a few days ago and it said they needed. I thought they
> had been located and installed, but I guess not. Because of these 3 files,
> nothing else will install.
Can you tell us the exact messages you are getting?

> Also, my CD-ROM drive, which hadn't given me any trouble before decided it
> wouldn't open while SuSE was running in KDE. I would have to exit out of
> KDE to open the drive. Kinda hard to change CDs to the one with the right
> program on it. Grrrrr!

I'll leave this one for the KDE experts, but I'd guess that something
like a file manager has decided to watch the CDROM and doesn't want you
just randomly changing CDs. If you type 'mount' in a terminal window,
does it show the cdrom is mounted when you are in KDE?

Cheers,
Malcolm

Malcolm Tredinnick            email: malcolm at commsecure.com.au
CommSecure Pty Ltd