[techtalk] There's nothing more I hate

Brendan Coffey bmc at section9.net
Wed Aug 16 18:24:26 EST 2000

> >And slashdot is not "the Linux community."  Please.
>
> I know that.  Tell Fred that (I did).

I don't care to tell Fred anything.  ;-)

> Slashdot has done a great deal to harm the public image of Linux, if
> you ask me.

Agreed.  I don't even read it anymore.  I don't need to.

I've identified a phenomenon I call "slashdot proxying." This is
the mechanism by which everyone in my social community of techies
all ask me (generally within 15 minutes or so of each other), "Hey,
did you hear on slashdot [insert slashdot anecdote]?" Thus, there's
no reason for me to put up with the stupidity and inanity of
slashdot.  I have an entire social infrastructure in place to put
up with it FOR me.  ;-)  I just get the URLs and abstracts.

I once configured a /. account to do that for me, but I find it's
more pleasant not to soil my browser with slashdot's HTML.

Now, EurekAlert is a techie news site worth reading.

-b

---