[techtalk] Partition and Win madness

Lilly S. lilly at shellyeah.org
Wed Aug 16 12:54:03 EST 2000

Hi all,

I was so happy yesterday when I found a copy of Mandrake's Linux for
Windows. So all excitedly i bought it and went home to install it. And
that's when I ran into trouble.

Here's the current setup.
I have two harddrives A and B (that's not the drive's names).

A (11 Gigs) has two partitions in it: 1.  Win for 2 Gigs
			    2.  Win for 4 Gigs

B (13 Gigs) has four patitions in it: 	1. Linux Swap
				2. Linux
				3. Linux
				4. Linux

When I tried to install Mandrake yesterday, I asked it to put it on the
second partition of the A drive, but it came back and said I didn't have
enough room. I have over 5 Gigs left. I just cannot be out of space. I'm
thinking it's the Windows limit on showing partitions over 4 Gigs.

This brings me to my questions:
1. Is there a way to make Windows recognize partitions over 4 Gigs?
2. What's the best way of installing Linux for Win considering this setup?

I would like to have it so that I can have Windows and Linux that sit on
the same boot, but also have the option of getting into Linux *without*
windows.

Is this asking too much, or someone thinks it's doable?

Thanks in advance!

Lilly