[techtalk] /dev/modem

Malcolm Tredinnick malcolm at commsecure.com.au
Tue Aug 15 22:37:03 EST 2000

On Tue, Aug 15, 2000 at 12:17:31PM +0100, xtal333 at yahoo.com wrote:
> This *teach yourself* stuff is getting a bit much as far as setting up
> my modem to work with SuSE is concerned!

The advice I offer below should be taken with the appropriate grains of
salt (very large and plentiful, for example). I have only experienced
SuSe at local installfests and the like, so I'm not up on all it's
idiosyncrasies.

> I have 2 serial ports on my PC; COM1 'n' COM2, IRQs 3 'n' 4.  However
> Win 98 (I'm dual booting) uses an internal modem connected to COM3
> with an IRQ of 10....(?)
> How can I override what YaST links to /dev/modem with the correct
> settings, or is this one of those Winmodem known problems?  I'm using
> a Diamond SupraExpress 56i.

According to a bunch of search results from Google, something called the
SupraExpress 56i PRO (models 2380/2390/2560) is a WinModem. :-(

Just in case it isn't a WinModem (although the model number sounds
ominous), here's the general theory...

If you have a modem connected to COM3 under Windows/DOS, you want
/dev/modem to be a symlink to /dev/ttyS2. You can set the interrupt (if
it's a PCI modem, rather than a PnP -- Plug and Play -- sort) using a
command like

	/bin/setserial /dev/ttyS2 irq 10

although it may be 10 by default (it may also be PnP, in which case
there is fun with the isapnp utility to be had).

Not very helpful. Sorry! :-(

Malcolm

Malcolm Tredinnick            email: malcolm at commsecure.com.au
CommSecure Pty Ltd