[techtalk] LILO >1024 cylinders?

Fan, Laurel Laurel.Fan at compaq.com
Fri Aug 11 10:04:08 EST 2000

jennyw, jennyw at dangerousideas.com, said:
> I'm still kind of new to Linux/Debian ... the way I know to
> get files is to use apt-get.  When we tried this for LILO,
> it didn't get the latest.

My guess is that apt is looking in the slink (2.1, current stable
version) archive, while the new LILO would be in potato (2.2,
current 'frozen' (getting ready to be released) version).

You can usually install a few packages from a newer version of the
distribution without upgrading the whole thing.

The easiest way to do this is editing the sources file for apt, and
then just using get as usual.  This file is located at
  /etc/apt/sources.list
The only thing you should have to change is to replace 'slink' or
'stable' with 'potato'.

You should run
  apt-get update
to get a new version of the list of packages, then you can just apt-get
as usual.

Another way to do this is to download the packages and then use dpkg to
install it.  There's a web page at http://packages.debian.org that
allows you to search for and download packages (make sure you're
searching in potato/frozen or all, the default is slink/stable).
I also find the web interface useful for finding the names of packages,
since there isn't really a good command line package search tool besides
grep.