[techtalk] mailman help

Aaron Malone aaron at mancala.semo.net
Wed Aug 9 10:36:43 EST 2000

On Wed, Aug 09, 2000 at 09:48:09AM +0000, JLG wrote:

> A project I'm working on requires me to set up some
> mailing lists and I decided to go with Mailman.
>
> The CGI's are working great, but I am having some problems with
> the mail end of things.
>
> A user can sign up for lists, they are sent their confirmation.
> When they reply to their confirmation it disapears into the ether...
> no 'welcome to the list', and no record of their subscription on the list
> roster.

[snip]

Have you looked at the mail logs on the server where mailman is installed
to see what's happening to this mail?  That would be the first place I'd
look, to see if the mail is actually being delivered correctly.

When I set up mailman on a RedHat box, I had to add a link to the
'wrapper' program in /etc/smrsh before sendmail would accept mail
addressed to that program.  I don't know if the RPM does this
automatically, you might want to check that as well.

Also, be sure to add the aliases output when you create a new list to
/etc/aliases -- though if you hadn't done that, you should be getting
bounce messages.

Aaron Malone (aaron at semo.net
System Administrator                 "It's easier than thinking!"
Poplar Bluff Internet, Inc.                  -- Rick Moen
http://www.semo.net