[techtalk] Debianaut Loses WindowMaker Menus!

Nicole Zimmerman colby at wsu.edu
Sun Aug 6 18:05:28 EST 2000

Are you using the debian menu utility or do you build your own from
scratch? I will have to dig up the name of the package but the utility
makes it so your window manager's application menu is always up to date
with what's installed (every time I install a new package it updates
itself and rebuilds the menu).

You might try going into wmakerconf or wmprefs and copying the default
windowmaker menu over yours... or if you have the snappy menu thing
installed you can probably force an update.

Conveniently the package is named 'menu'... (I just checked):

Package: menu
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 990
Maintainer: joost witteveen <joostje at debian.org>
Version: 2.1.5-3
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.1), libstdc++2.10
Conflicts: pdmenu (<= 0.5.9)
Conffiles:
 /etc/menu-methods/translate_menus 2669426d33d2794a3e72bb2743dc8bdc
 /etc/menu-methods/menu.h 25875781ac4913e13a80c0b32cefd690
 /etc/menu-methods/menu.config ae6ec52278a5f4abf37db7f9955069ec
 The intent of this package is to streamline the menu's (like the
 fvwm2 ones) in debian. For this purpose, menu provides an "update-menus"
 command, that will read all installed menu files (as provided by
 other packages in /usr/lib/menu), and run the frontents for various
 window-managers in /etc/menu-methods to create startup files for
 the window managers (or pdmenu).
 The user and system admin can easily override the menu files
 on a by-user or by-system bases.

do a dpkg -s to see if you have it installed, if so, try update-menus

If not, I'd try the wmakerconf/wmprefs way of copying over a default menu
and then maybe restarting.

-nicole

At 11:53 on Aug 6, J-Mag Guthrie combined all the right letters to say: