[techtalk] Goodby Windows, hello Linux!

Katie Rauss kar99002 at uconnvm.uconn.edu
Sun Aug 6 09:35:04 EST 2000

> 1.  I believe the best plan for me is to install Mandrake on a second hard
> drive rather
> than to dual boot it from the same drive that now runs windows.  That way, I
> can learn to use Linux without screwing up my Windows OS and applications.
> As I understand it, all I need to do to manage this is to install LILO on the
> first hard drive.  Right?  Wrong?  Also, is there a set of instructions for
> installing Linux on a second drive somewhere on line?

Yay, a fellow Mandrake user (one of my friends is in love with Debian and
abuses Mandrake to no end)!
The partitioning process in Mandrake (I use 7.0, but I'm assuming 7.1 is the
same or better) is simple.  I just reinstalled EVERYTHING after getting a
second hard drive...the DrakX graphical installer does it for you, if you
like.  It'll recognize both hard drives and the partition attributes
(filesystem, size, etc.).  If you want to simply turn one drive over to Linux,
click on the "Auto-Allocate" choice in DrakX...it'll set up appropriately sized
partitions and format them.

> 2.  I believe I can install a copy of Windows98 in the Virtual Machine
> running in Linux on my second hard drive without problems (conflicts) between
> it and Windows98 on my first drive.  Right?  Wrong?

I like Wine, myself.  I have run into a few problems with some specialty
Windows programs (I'm a mechanical engineering major), such as AutoCAD 2000,
but those were resolved fairly quickly.  Never used Virtual Machine.

Have fun!

Katie