[techtalk] problems upgrading to gnome 1.2 and enlightenment 0.16.4

colin parr colin_parr at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 4 14:43:06 EST 2000

Hey all

Hope somebody can help - I'm having a complete nightmare trying to upgrade
to the above over a standard RH6.1 install (completely fresh - I thought I'd
start over...) on a PIII 500MHz, 64MB, RIVA 32MB TNT2 dual boot w W98.

The RH6.1 goes fine - everything working as you'd expect.  I then apply the
RPMs for gnome 1.2 with only one problem - ggv-0.5.3-1 complains about not
having the bonobo libraries but that's OK 'cos its only an application,
right?  However, I'm a bit dubious that the install has gone 100% as nothing
much seems to change...  so first question : is there any place I can look
to convince myself that the gnome install has gone OK and I'm now running
1.2?  Apologies if this is a silly question - this is the first time I've
tried to do this.

Anyway I then try to upgrade enlightenment.  I apply the imlib-1.9.8-1 and
fnlib-0.5-1 RPMs and then the enlightenment-0.16.4-1 RPM and again
everything appears to go swimmingly until I restart enlightenment whereupon
I get the nasty grey box popping up saying -

"Enlightenment could not initialise imlib."

which isn't good and causes enlightenment to exit pretty rapidly.  Does
anyone have any ideas? I can't see what's gone wrong - the only thing I can
think of is to try to install from source but I'd prefer to figure out this
and hopefully save myself some time if that doesn't make any difference.

Thanks in advance

Colin (stressed).