[techtalk] Re: Newbie & all that

Caitlyn M. Martin caitlyn at netferrets.net
Thu Aug 3 22:30:45 EST 2000

Hi, Keith,

> I will follow the advice of the separate Linux box soon, but I have a
> separate (and idle) 1.6GB drive in this box, and will make that the Lin=
ux
> partitions leaving the dreaded WinDoz95 on the other drive...

One of the things I really must give Caldera credit for is making that=20
process, creating a dual boot system, even on a single drive, quite=20
painless.  To quote my Keith, doing his very first *nix install with zero=
=20
experience:  "You couldn't ask for an easier install".

> This  will also allow me to keep Juno going.  Has anyone any good ideas
> on running Juno under Linux?  I realize that Juno denies that one can,
> but one of my younger brothers (of the seven of them!) runs Juno 4.0 on
> his Mac with a WinDoz emulator,  Crude and slow, but free...

Caldera includes WINE.  We've played with it on Keith's dual boot system,=
=20
and I am amazed at how many Windows apps can, in fact, be run that way.  =
So=20
long as it isn't written by Microsoft, your chances seem to be around 50/=
50.=20
Try it and see.  You have absolutely nothing to lose.

> After I negotiate the slippery slope of the Linux Learning Curve, THEN
> I'll try to sell  it to the YF & daughter, both of who are capable of
> such, but unwilling to admit it at times (sigh)

Microsoft may try to spread FUD on how steep a learning curve it is, but=20
among my family and friends, with various levels of computer literacy,=20
nobody has found it terribly hard.  Mind you, some of them really don't=20
understand it, just how to do the tasks they need, but heck, at least the=
y=20
are using Linux to do those tasks instead of Windows  :)

Good luck!
Caity

--=20
Caitlyn M=E1ire Martin