[techtalk] KDE / OpenSource

Fan, Laurel Laurel.Fan at compaq.com
Thu Aug 3 13:17:13 EST 2000

Patricia Jung, trish at trish.de, said:
> On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 10:17:41AM -0400, Fan, Laurel wrote:
> > So, someone is working for a company on a closed source product...
> > and not getting paid?  I don't know what that convinces me of.
> Why shouldn't he get paid for his job? What I was mentioning was that
> no one paid him to leave harmony or to make up his mind or
> something like
> this -- just preventing conspiration theories.
>
> 	Patricia

Huh?  You said "no one payed for that".  So assuming "payed" means paid
him, and "that" means "work on Qt", I'd say that implies that "no one
paid for him to work on Qt".  Qt has both a free and a closed edition.
I would assume that "join Trolltech" implies that he would work working
on the closed edition as well, therefore "no one payed for that" would
imply that he is working on closed source Qt and not being paid.

If he is not being paid for his work, that's just strange.

If, in fact, he is being paid for his work, then he is, in fact, being
paid by Trolltech to not work on Harmony[1], in which case "no one payed
for that" makes no sense.

Conspiracy theory or not, the developer had a financial incentive
to work on Qt instead of Harmony.

[1] For those not familiar with how companies in the US operate:  the
standard employment contract in the US has a "you may not do any
work that competes with us" clause. I would assume that Harmony, being
an attempt to clone their product, would be considered a competitor,
and therefore anyone working for Trolltech would be prohibited from
working on Harmony.