[techtalk] KDE / OpenSource

Patricia Jung trish at trish.de
Thu Aug 3 19:01:01 EST 2000

On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 11:31:35AM -0500, joey tsai wrote:

> > And the GNOME project hast included some of the KDE code, thus, the relevant
> > programs obviously are part of a chain reaction.
>
> No, you do not need permission to link GPLed (KDE) code against GPLed (Gnome)
> code.

Of course not -- but as soon as you take GPLed code from KDE and include
it in your code, you agree with that it is OK that KDE is GPLed and
that there is no licencing problem.
I would never include code in my project where I might get in trouble
because the licence of that code is wrong.

And a lot of GNOME and Debian folk has argued that KDE has the wrong licence
because of it's linking against Qt.

	Patricia