[techtalk] Linux with ISDN

Matjaz Godec gody at master.slon.net
Thu Apr 27 07:39:48 EST 2000

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, GeekGrrl wrote:

> But how many people can afford that many B-channels? :)

We are actualy using Linux + Internal ISDN cards as appliance
called "communiction servers". They are used to connect many remote
locations. We've been using such combination from early 96 also for our
ISP part of the bussines. Only recently we moved to PRI network access
server and that was also only necessary because of cost of "homologation"
proces we would have to make if we would go with Linux + PRI ISDN card
solution.

While it is true, that for such large setups Linux is maybe a litle
trickier to set up, but later one have so many options no "black box"
solution can give You.

Only to mention setup as a gateway to Internet. There is no afordable
ISDN router with only fraction of functionality Linux gateway offers You.
Perhaps external ISDN modem can be of a help here, but I'm for one am very
sceptical about those gadget. Perhaps since in our country we don't have
really qualified sellers of equipement and user is on his own anyway.

	lp
		gody

|    Matjaz Godec    |    Agenda d.o.o.    |   ISP for business  |
|   Tech. Manager    |   Gosposvetska 84   |     WAN networks    |
|   gody at slon.net    |   si-2000 Maribor   |  Internet/Intranet  |
| tel:+38662.2297740 |      Slovenija      | Application servers |
| http://www.elgo.si | http://www.slon.net |  Caldera OpenLinux  |