[techtalk] RE: remote xwin?

Robert A. Newman as919 at rgfn.epcc.edu
Mon Apr 24 23:31:12 EST 2000

>PS-Has anybody seen this thing that's been going down with the iOpener
>machine?  $99 and hackable into a nice thin client, only the company's
>gotten all upset and pulled some really dirty tricks on the customers in an
>effort to make some of the money back their losing...won't go into detail
>now; just wondering if anyone else heard anything...

Sure nuff.  Linuxtoday's pretty good about covering that stuff.  Of course,
I read it this morning, logged in this evening, and got "Welcome back
bobnewman, 54 new stories since you last logged in."  No small task,
keeping up with that publication on a busy day.

I thought the Lego folks took a much saner approach when a bunch of Linux
hackers wrote a new operating system for their little robot thingies. It
consisted of "well, we don't really know what to think about it, so we're
not planning on doing anything."

The Linux guys, of course, said simply "The original OS had no floating
point.  We have to have floating point."  Who could disagree?

I imagine the same guy who discovered the hack in the first place is probably
at Radio Shack right now shopping for components.

I expect they'll try to outlaw Radio Shack next.