[techtalk] Perl help sources

Dan Nguyen nguyend7 at cse.msu.edu
Tue Apr 25 00:29:52 EST 2000

On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 11:08:17PM -0400, Lori wrote:
> I am that newbie who posted a couple weeks back about taking a
> programming job w/ Perl, and no experience in it.  You ppl had great
> suggestions about Perl books, I got the O'Reilly Learning Perl and
> Lemay's Perl in 21 days (I'm on day 5)

The Learning Perl book is a really great book, however it only touches
the surface of what most Perl scripts use.  And well... my opinion of
/$language in 21 (days|hours)/ isn't very high.

> Well, I took the job and today was my first day - yay :D  I've already been
> given a Perl task, and needless to say I have barely deciphered what the
> script-to-be-fixed does yet.

Maintaining Perl code isn't much fun.... no matter how much Perl you know.

> So, I'm back to ask what are the best bets for lists, newsgroups,
> forums, etc.  where the clueless-with-deadline type newbie is most
> likely to find help.  I have read about group, etc. stuff on
> perl.com, but I'm asking for anyones opinions based on my current
> situation.

I'd point you to news:comp.lang.perl.misc however they aren't the most
newbie friendly group.  You could check for a local Perl Mongers
group.

--
     Dan Nguyen     |  It is with true love as it is with ghosts;
  nguyend7 at msu.edu  |  everyone talks of it, but few have seen it.