[techtalk] Installing Linux on a second hard drive.

Darrell Daniels ddaniel1 at san.rr.com
Sun Apr 16 21:36:29 EST 2000

> I was unaware of any performance differences based on location, but
> someone in the thread mentioned that HD slaves of ATAPI devices can
> suffer. (or 'pears' where an ATAPI is the 'banana'. Hm. Maybe the terms
> aren't quite that arbitrary.)
>
> Jenn V.

Supposedly an IDE controller will default to the lowest speed or
transfer mode of any device on the cable, hence a CDROM or older hard
drive can impact your hard drive performance, this may have changed with
many of the new CD's supporting UDMA modes but I dont think any (CDs)are
up to DMA-66 yet. This is the reason I was always given, I dont think it
has changed yet.
Darrell