[techtalk] Installing Linux on a second hard drive.

Darren darren at osadchuk.org
Sun Apr 16 23:27:42 EST 2000

On Mon, 17 Apr 2000 jenn at simegen.com wrote:

>The Cat In The Hat wrote:
>>
>> The CD-Rom is the secondary slave because of where it is on the cable.  You want your new hard drive to be the primary slave in the system. You do not want to move you CD-Rom to the Primary slave position.  The position it is currently in is actually the best for future upgrades and additions of hard drives.
>

>Actually, to my knowledge the location on the cable is irrelevent. The
>Cat is correct in saying it's a hardware issue, though. (it's not Linux,
>it's the way EISA PCs are built.)

Location on the cable can be relevant, if the jumpers on one or both
drives is set to "cable select", so that you theoretically don't have to
worry about where on the chain the drive is located. It's a setting that
caused me big long headaches the first time I installed a second HD.
Ironically, I assume it's an option intended to make drive installation
easier.

--
darren at osadchuk.org                       http://www.osadchuk.org
         "Funny thing about outside: it's just like TV."