[Fwd: Re: [techtalk] Ether-Address and IP-Address]

Kir Kolyshkin kir at sgp.sever.ru
Thu Apr 13 15:47:28 EST 2000

> is there a programm, which can I use to find the IP-Address
> to a specified Ether-Address (network card) ???

Well, if you don't have a switch or router between your linux box and
that PC
you are looking for, you can use the following methods.

1. ping ip_addr, then arp will show you MAC-IP pairs that was
discovered.

2. there's a good utility called arpwatch - this is a daemon which
monitors
network activity in your segment and mails you (root at localhost) all
discovered
ip and mac addresses. It also informs you if the mac changes, it is very
useful
if you're sysadmin and try to supervise your network.

--
|< ()  http://kir.sever.net kir at sgp.sever.ru kir at sever.net ICQ 7551596
() |_   Microsoft SELLS you Windows, Linux GIVES you the whole house!