[techtalk] installing nic for 1st time

Nicole Zimmerman colby at wsu.edu
Mon Apr 10 10:28:05 EST 2000

> One thing that may be missing is an alias for the device module
> your using (if you dont have the driver compiled statically in
> the kernel) in /etc/conf.modules.

Just fyi, debian *hates* conf.modules and prefers the more "standard"
modules.conf. If you use conf.modules, it will yell at you. :o) insmod's
man page markes conf.modules as "depreciated".

> Also, there are usually scripts used to configure the interface which
> you will want to modify rather than running that command everytime you
> boot.  Depending on your distro they can be anywhere from /etc/rc.config
> to /etc/net-conf/eth0.conf or such..  There should be documentation on
> that somewhere with your distro.

You might also check out /etc/network/interfaces to make sure your eth0
is loaded by ifup and ifdown... I had to modify this from it's original
value in order for my debian box here to deal with my nic (a 3c59x/3c90x
vortex card).

Might try `ifup eth0` to see if it knows anything about your card, then
check for the modules and all that to make sure they're loded correctly.

-nicole