[techtalk] installing nic for 1st time

Snarfblat coderman at mindspring.com
Mon Apr 10 10:07:33 EST 2000

"Tania M. Morell" wrote:

> I know how to use ifconfig to configure the card ..
> I've done it at work but it seems that my puters at
> home can't "see" the new ethernet card.  I know they
> are compatible cards (3c503 etherlink II).  At work, I
> can type "ifconfig -i" and I get eth0 and lo.
> At home I only get lo.

One thing that may be missing is an alias for the device module
your using (if you dont have the driver compiled statically in
the kernel) in /etc/conf.modules.

For my 3com905BX card the line looks like this:

alias eth0 3c90x  (something like that)

Which then allows you to 'ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 -broadcast
192.168.1.255 -netmask 255.255.255.0' or whatever you choose to setup
your network.

an lsmod will verify that the correct driver module is loaded for your
card.
If that doesnt work, you may want to 'cat /proc/pci' and verify that the
card is actually
reported on the PCI bus, and note the IRQ and IO ports its using.  (may
be conflicts?)

Also, there are usually scripts used to configure the interface which
you will want to modify rather than running that command everytime you
boot.  Depending on your distro they can be anywhere from /etc/rc.config
to /etc/net-conf/eth0.conf or such..  There should be documentation on
that somewhere with your distro.

--
.oO()Oo.oO()Oo.oO()Oo.oO()Oo.oO()Oo.oO()Oo.oO()Oo.oO()Oo.oO()Oo.
    coderman at mindspring.com | http://cubicmetercrystal.com/