[techtalk] Re: [grrltalk] Linux for Kids???

Jeff phaedrus at thereactor.cleptoscastle.com
Sat Apr 8 01:12:15 EST 2000

On Fri, Apr 07, 2000 at 11:47:19PM -0400, Margaret Leber wrote:
> > On Fri, 7 Apr 2000, Andrea Zamecnik wrote:
> > If they were really, then Java would be suitable for systems programming.
> > Which it's not.
>
> That's a pretty broad generalization. The run-time environments we've
> seen thus far have been strap-ons, and integrating garbage collection
> and threading models (basically behind the back of the native OS, in a
> lot of cases) have been some

This is why there isn't a JVM installed on my machine (well, netscape's,
but it is disabled).

> of their weakest points. But that's not a characteristic of the *language*
> itself, but an implementaion issue.

The language itself is a great concept, and could work wonders.  It is
underdeveloped right now, and we need to give it a couple years to live up
to the hype.  That and Sun needs to get their act together -- a standard
would be nice.

> But watch this space...
>
> I've always felt that memory management and such like wasn't really a fit
> activity for humans; after all, that's why we don't write in machine code
> anymore. It's something your tools should be doing for you.

*Somebody* has to do it.  *Somewhere* you need to implement that stuff.
Then again, the people who want to do that find their way out of the
woodwork and do it.

> We made an offer on a house, and I'm biting my nails. It's been four
> years since I broke up with my ex-, and left what had been my home
> behind. I've been in apartments since then.

Good luck.

--
Jeff

My Public Key -- http://24.5.73.229/pubkey.txt