[techtalk] Re: [grrltalk] Linux for Kids???

Jeff phaedrus at thereactor.cleptoscastle.com
Fri Apr 7 17:23:09 EST 2000

On Fri, Apr 07, 2000 at 05:10:55PM -0700, Nicole Zimmerman wrote:
> > Also, OO is a rather advanced abstraction.  I didn't get it the first
> > time I tried to pick it up (with a rather poor C++ book, not Dietel &
> > Dietel).  Of course, I also didn't have an instructor to go with the
> > reading, but procedural is still easier to think in than OO.
>
> Hmm, I don't think so... I think it depends on who you are. C++ was the
> first language I learned (then I went back and did vanilla C), to me
> thinking OO and thinking procedural are just two different modes of

*Now* it is that way for me.

> writing code, being a lazy person I prefer the OO mode :o)

I'm a technomasochist.

> > trip, again, it has its uses.  I got accepted into Pre-Engineering at
> > UW, I intend to go into Computer Engineering (most college's offer it as
> > EE/CS), so it is nice to learn more about how the actual hardware works
>
> Good luck actually getting in to any engineering major, they are all
> competitive (tm, officially). Friends of mine that did very well in high

I know, but I also already have an extremely strong grasp on
Calculus, math and computers.  Beyond that, I'm also decently well
rounded.  I think I'm in a really good position for what is going to be
thrown at me next year.

> One of the many reasons I did not choose the UW, even though it's close to
> home.

Yes, but they have one of the top engineering schools, and it is close
to home for me too.

--
Jeff

My Public Key -- http://24.5.73.229/pubkey.txt