[techtalk] no modem etc

dynamix at iinet.net.au dynamix at iinet.net.au
Fri Apr 7 18:30:03 EST 2000

I have one problem and one question..
the easy question first...
If I go to shutdown i get asked for root's password.( i have set my user
self as super user equiv).obviously a security feature..........
BUT why can ANY user just go CTL-ALT-DEL and the machine will end
processes
and dismount etc and reboot....one can just hit the power button once it
cycles out of the OS ....???Im a bit puzzled at what seems such an
obvious way to beat security....
Ive tired it on at least 4 different distro's....
puzzled.............

Now for the technical/knowhow problem
ive installed TurboLinux 6.0 in a second partiton ( redhat is t'other)
anyways ive configured turbolinuxppp etc
but for some reason the modem does not respond.
it doesnt matter if i try minicom or gnomeppp or kppp or seyon etc
something seems to be holding the modem ...something that is installed
by default when you do a full install /.
Ive made the link to /dev/modem adn even if i access through cua1 or
ttys1
it makes no difference..looking at top or ps -A gives me no clues...
does anyone use turbolinux.....any ideas'??????
clueless
dez