[techtalk] Re: [grrltalk] Linux for Kids???

Elizabeth Fallon takotank at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 5 19:01:00 EST 2000

> > Regrettably, I am quite addicted to my Windows box.  Primarily for Adobe
> > Photoshop and Photodeluxe, as well as my scanner, and the wide range of
>ISPs
> > available for it and NOT Linux. :(
>
>as someone else said: try the GIMP instead of Photoshop, especially the
>developer versions are _sweet_ *claps himself on the backhead for
>suggesting the use of a developer version to anyone*.

I've been playing around with the GIMP a bit (not enough to be able to use
it successfully), but I'm sure I'll be fluent in no time. :)

>Regarding the scanner, what brand and type is it and how is it connected
>(Parport, SCSI, USB)?

it's a Compeye "Simplex", and it uses parport.  everybody tells me it's a
horrible scanner, but it serves its purpose well and hasn't given me a
single problem since I got it.

>Speaking about ISPs, I don't know any ISP except AOL that doesn't support
>PPP -- in fact, it is the Protocol most of them support exclusively, and
>surprise: it's the protocol Linux uses for dialup networking as
>well. Ergo: They might not give you config support (we can :-), but you
>should pretty much be able to do it anyway. Then have the Windows box
>networked to the Linux box, setup IP masquerading (*) and a Web cache and
>you can access the Internet from _both_ boxes.
>
>(*): This is easy, it's a six-liner.

Well this will -certainly- help me out.  I don't know much about anything
when it comes to Linux, as I'm really new at it, so any help will be greatly
appreciated.  I called Mindspring and a bunch of local ISPs, but nobody knew
what Linux was. :(  I think I'll wait before I start doing anything, though,
because I recently reformatted the drive with Windows on it, and can't get
the sucker back on.   arrgghh!  besides, the drive went sour, and I'm gonna
buy a new one as soon as my next paycheck comes. :)

Liz