[techtalk] mutually incompatible files?

Nils Philippsen nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de
Tue Apr 4 21:24:40 EST 2000

On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Lighthouse Keeper in the Desert Sun wrote:

> I'm trying to get gnumeric to upgrade.  Still.  SO I tried installing some
> packages that don't look gnumeric-related (gnome-games, actually, and
> esound.)  So, I try to install bonobo, and it tells me that there is a
> conflict with the file /usr/share/gnome/apps/Games/gnomine.desktop in

You don't need bonobo for gnumeric to work, it is just needed for the
components stuff (e.g. embedded pictures, diagrams and such). If you use
"my" specs, and don't want to use bonobo, comment out the lines from
"pushd ..." to "popd ..." in the "%install" section of the gnumeric spec
file, then comment out the line "%{prefix}/bin/gnumeric-bonobo" (and maybe
"%{prefix}/bin/graph", I don't know), and build the package. But you can
as well --force or --replacefiles while upgrading, it won't harm you. And
you have some nice developer stuff to play with and watch it crash (not
gnumeric, but the whole testing binaries in the bonobo package :-).

> instlling bonobo or gnome-games.  And I can't install libglade without
> bonobo.  And gnorpm-0.85 needs libxml.so.0 (earlier xml version, Ig uess).

Go ahead and install the new libxml, then rebuild gnorpm. Should work.

> So I should update gnorpm.  What do I do about this bonobo/games problem?
> It's also required for gnumeric.
> /me beats head against wall

I admit that this resolving-dependencies-odyssey can be very frustrating.

Nils
--
 Nils Philippsen / Berliner Straße 39 / D-71229 Leonberg // +49.7152.209647
nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de / nils at fht-esslingen.de / nils at redhat.de