[techtalk] argh! (gnumeric troubles)

Nils Philippsen nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de
Tue Apr 4 21:07:55 EST 2000

On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Lighthouse Keeper in the Desert Sun wrote:

> Okay... so I tried to rpm -Uvh all the stuff I downloaded (which wasn't
> everything in the directory, but I got ~20 packages), and it said this:
> error: failed dependencies:
> 	indent is needed by ORBit-devel-0.5.0-0.1

orbit-idl (the thing that makes actual C stubs and skeletons out if
a CORBA interface description) uses indent to produce
"human-readable" code. It is useful to have anyway (well, if you're into
programming).

> 	windowmanager is needed by gnome-core-1.1.6-0.1

windowmanager is provided by e.g. WindowMaker or enlightenment. If you're
sure that you have one, you can just put this line into /etc/rpmrc:

Provides: windowmanager

... or use --nodeps

> 	libgdk_pixbuf.so.1 is needed by gnome-core-1.1.6-0.1

new gnome stuff uses gdk_pixbuf instead of imlib for rendering various
graphics formats.

> 	libgnomecanvaspixbuf.so.0 is needed by gnome-core-1.1.6-0.1

Comes with gdk_pixbuf

> 	gtk+ >= 1.2.2 is needed by gnumeric-0.51-0.1
> 	libxml.so.0 is needed by gnorpm-0.8-5

gtk+-1.2.7 and libxml-1.8.6 are current

> Does that mean I need to get an update of gnorpm?  And what does the
> 'indent' and 'windowmanager' mean?  (Should I include a listing of the
> files I got, too?)

No it's just that the stuff you want to install needs other (new) stuff to
work properly.

> growing ever more frustrated,

I'm sorry being the cause (guessing from the version numbers)...

If I can help you any further, don't hesitate asking. Maybe you'll get
quicker response by using my work address (the right-most in the sig).

Nils
--
 Nils Philippsen / Berliner Straße 39 / D-71229 Leonberg // +49.7152.209647
nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de / nils at fht-esslingen.de / nils at redhat.de