[techtalk] argh! (gnumeric troubles)

Nils Philippsen nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de
Sat Apr 1 14:12:35 EST 2000

On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, Lighthouse Keeper in the Desert Sun wrote:

> On Mar 30, Nils Philippsen conjectured:
>
> > hmm, this too is antiquated... gnumeric-0.51 is the current version
>
> Huh.  0.38 was the most recent rpm gnome.org had.  SO I'll get the source
> and deal with it, maybe.  Unless someone knows where I can find an rom for
> gnumeric-0.58...
>
> > (does anyone know where I can find goose and guppi?))
>
> Well, ftp.gnome.org/pub/guppi might be a good place to check... And before
> I decide to download it, what does it do?

Hmm, I meant their website, but as of now they don't build bonobo
components anymore. So gnumeric finally has a diagram button and all it
does is try to invoke some component which doesn't exist on this
planet. Sheesh. Or does someone out there know what implements the
GNOME/Graph/Layout interface. I really like that CORBA stuff, in future
questions won't be "where can I find this-and-that" anymore but "where can
I find something which implements the interface so-and-so". Indirection
galore.

> Laurel said I would need to do something special because I am upgrading
> from source, rather than from rpm.  Any idea what that might be?

Hmmm, you need the spec file and all source files mentioned in it. Put all
the source files in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES, the spec file in
/usr/src/redhat/SPECS (adjust paths if you compile somewhere else), then
'rpm -ba --clean /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/gnumeric.spec' which will hopefully
give you the binary RPMS in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386. I can't think of
anything else. I think Laurel meant that you have to do something special
if you install _directly_ from source, circumventing package management
(in short: you need to tell RPM that e.g. libgtk is there although not in
package management).

> Since my modem is in dire need of a firmware update that can only be run
> under windows (and we use a 28K dialup, anyway), I'll wait till I cna get
> to Ben's T1 line at school/work.  Having a laptop makes that so easy...

I'll put up my RPMS (not just GNOME stuff) on
http://rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de/~nils/redhat, but I won't make any promises
on their quality.

Nils
--
 Nils Philippsen / Berliner Straße 39 / D-71229 Leonberg // +49.7152.209647
nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de / nils at fht-esslingen.de / nils at redhat.de