[techtalk] Re: cable modem issues

Yukiko Takiguchi ytakiguc at ntr.net
Thu Sep 30 23:04:11 EST 1999

Hi,
I use Time Warner Road Runner, and it's fine!
I'm connecting my Linux box as server, and running IP-Masquerading.
So, I can connect my notebook and Mac to the Internet via Linux.

I'm running my web server on it. I cannot set domain name for it,
becasue IP address is changed when I disconnect from thenet.
But my modem can get same IP address avary time when I connect for
6 month.
I can also FTP and telnet to my Linux box from anywhere. (of cource!)

However, my server was attacked & hacked two times :-<
(Now I just kill telnet access from outside.)

-Yuki

/*
** Yukiko Takiguchi
** CIS in Syracuse University
**
** Yoda said, "Do or do not, there is no try."
*/