[techtalk] re: cable modem issues

Walt pippin at fred.net
Thu Sep 30 16:49:52 EST 1999

At 12:52 PM 9/30/99 -0700, Lighthouse Keeper in the Desert Sun wrote:
>On Sep 30, Beverly Guillermo conjectured:
>
>> I wonder how they do the checking..?  If you're running Ip-Masquerading
>> properly, it should only show that you have one computer hooked up to
>> the network.
>
>I haven't the first idea hw they do it.  It's possible that it's just
>scare tactics.  Ever fingered @rr.com?  My, my.  It's hard to tell if they
>are serious.  (Try fingering @nycap.rr.com )
>Another possibility of RR supporting only 3 computers/modem is badnwidth.
>It's 10baseT, and I don't know how much it can handle.
>Actually, on second thought, my friend ran a server in San Diego using
>RoadRunner, and it wasn't too bad.  Hmm.

Figgered I'd jump in here... When we first got cable access (512kbps
both directions) they told us $50 dollars a month. _Then_ we found
out that to get a registered name (like shadowfax.cust001.planetcable.net)
that would always be the same, they wanted $63 / mo. To get static IP
it was $250/mo. We went with the $50/mo and our IP hasn't changed since,
despite the fact that they told us that they scramble the IP's every night
(ha ha). They also told us only one computer could use the connection but they
have yet to complain to us...

[pure sidenote: through our cable we get regular tv cable access along with
the internet connection. just hook up a line splitter to a tv tuner card and
you're all set...]

Walt

-~

    We are creating the kind of society when the criminal is out
    of jail before the victim is out of the hospital.
                        Richard J. Needham