[techtalk] Firewall, kppp, dynamic ip, script? -- Help please.

Gail Allinson gailla at jps.net
Thu Sep 30 04:49:50 EST 1999

I'm using SuSE 6.2. My preferred dialler is kppp.  I have my firewall
configured and I'm
happy with it so far (I'm sure there's always room for improvement.)

FW_INT_DEV is eth0
FW_WORLD_DEV is ppp0
and I've included IP at ppp0 in FW_LOCALNETS

All this is in accordance with the documentation I have from SuSE and
what I can glean from various HOW-TOs.

I can't start the FW until I've connected and my ISP assigned IP is
associated with ppp0.  I can start and stop the FW script as su from
xterm, but of course this is a real pain to remember (it's not hard to
do /sbin/init.d/firewall start or stop as the case may be)

I'm stuck on the next point which is getting the FW to start right after
connection and IP assignment and to stop after disconnection when
using kppp.  The SuSE firewall manual v2.0 (slightly outdated since its
seem to have be written for SuSE 6.1) just says to start it in a ppp
script
but I can find no further documentation.  I want to do this with kppp.
I'm open to using a different dialler if that's what it takes.

I'm still learning Linux and I'm not a programmer, though I've tweaked
perl
scripts as a Web writer.

Any help or info is appreciated.  TIA.

Gail