[techtalk] Font confusion

Steve Kudlak chromexa at ovis.net
Fri Oct 29 17:08:19 EST 1999

Deb Richardson wrote:

> Ingrid Schupbach wrote:
> >
> > Ack.
> >
> > I have spent the past hour trying to figure out how to give myself more
> > font options in gimp.  Currently I only have 4 fonts.  I went to gimp.org
> > and downloaded a big file of fonts, and I unzipped and untarred it, but I
> > have no clue where to put it.  Do I put it in some .gimp directory?  Some
> > .gnome directory?  I can't seem to find where my fonts live.
>
> Adding fonts is still a bit of a pain.  I added a bunch of TrueType
> fonts to my RH6.0 system by putting the *.ttf/*.TTF files in:
>
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/webfonts/
>
> That isn't quite all you have to do, however...there are two utilities
> that you have to run as well...ttmkfdir and mkfontdir.
>
> An old HOWTO is available here:
>
> http://www.sfu.ca/~yzhang/linux/truetype/
>
> If you're running RH 6.0 you already have all the utilities
> installed...the font server should be installed and running (assuming
> you've done a fairly standard installation).  Here's the basic procedure
> that works for me (note: likely only works on RH6.0 or better):
>
> 0.  Get root
> 1.  Put all your *.ttf files in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/webfonts/
> 2.  cd to the webfonts directory if you're not already there
> 3.  run ttmkfdir and stick the output in a file called fonts.scale using
> a command like the following:
>        /usr/sbin/ttmkfdir > fonts.scale
> 4.  in the same directory run mkfontdir with:
>        mkfontdir
> 5.  log out of your x session and startx again
> 6.  start GIMP and check the font list or, alternately, type
> "xlsfonts" in a normal user shell...this will list all of the fonts
> currently being used by your x session (this won't work in a rootshell
> and you'll get an error)
>
> Notes: ttmkfdir won't necessarily like all of the fonts you have in the
> directory and may produce some error messages.  There's not a lot you
> can do about this...some font files just don't have all the information
> that's needed to do this properly.  Those fonts mentioned in the error
> messages won't be used by the font server.
>
> This also only deals with TrueType font support.
>
> If you have problems with my procedure, let me know.  This is mostly off
> the top of my head, but it should work.  I'm going to turn this into a
> mini-HOWTO at some point, so if there are inaccuracies, I need to know
> about them :>
>
> - deb
>
> --
> deb at thepuffingroup.com
> deb at linuxchix.org
> deb at oswg.org

> techtalk at linuxchix.org   http://www.linuxchix.org

I noticed that GIMP grabbed and uses all my windoze conts that COREL has. Which
is quite nice. This is in spite of using them not as much as I usually use
fonts in personal letters in Works.

Have Fun,
Sends Steve...

P.S. I'll hava a slew of questions to ask soon, don't worry...:) The COREL
fonts are True Type...