[techtalk] High speed access -- pros and cons

Walt pippin at mail.fred.net
Thu Oct 28 16:46:01 EST 1999

At 03:19 PM 10/28/99 -0400, you wrote:
>and I would be interested in your feedback:  cable or ASDL?

We have cable ($800 setup, $50/mo. 512k both directions) that
we are very happy with. There is no noticeable slowdown in the
evenings (i.e., certain sites get slow in the evenings, but the sites
that are always fast are still fast.) Of course, we're in a fairly rural
area that probably isn't real connected yet, so I don't know what
the future may bring. . .

I've no personal experience with DSL :-) you'll have to get info on
that from somebody else on. . .

Walt

<<well, in AGaramond, it right justifies perfectly! :-) (and pretty
close in most other varaible width fonts. . .>>

-~

    The Press, my Lords, is one of our great out-sentries;
    if we remove it, if we hoodwink it, if we throw it in
    fetters, the enemy may surprise us.
                        Thomas Erskine
                        Lord Chancellor of England