[techtalk] No HTML/RTF messages, please!

Deidre L. Calarco dee at robertdarvas.com
Thu Oct 28 13:00:55 EST 1999

> At 8:37 AM -0700 10/28/99, Lighthouse Keeper in the Desert Sun wrote:
>>On Oct 28, Caitlyn Martin conjectured:
>>
>> > It is really bad netiquette, particularly on a UNIX list, to send messages
>> > in HTML or RTF format.  *Please* use plain text.  At work, where I have to
>> > use Microsoft software I can read them, but have you ever seen what HTML
>> > looks like in KMail?  Most text-based e-mail programs?
>> >
>> > Many lists I belong to bounce HTML messages.  Be kind to those of us who
>> > don't use Microsoft stuff or Netscape 100% of the time, OK?
>> >

>>I want to second that!!
>>I *know* I already asked that people turn off HTML and stuff.  It does
>>annoying things in pine.  It shows up as a 2-part message: 1 part plain
>>text; 1 part HTML, please press v to view or save this as a file.  It
>>wastes space etc.
>
> The main problem with this might be that the person who is sending
> the formatted email may not realize they are doing it. Outlook users
> (hint, hint!) especially have no idea that they're sending formatted
> email.

I use Outlook.  Here's how to turn off the HTML:  Preferences-> outlook
express -> mail composition -> click radio buttons for "Plain text" under
"news sending format" and "mail sending format".  It's uses HTML as the
default.

I also use a text - style mail program, and I hate it when I get HTML
e-mail, too.

Deidre  Calarco
Robert Darvas Associates
(734) 761-8713 (ext. 16)