[techtalk] No HTML/RTF messages, please!

Julia Frizzell julia_frizzell at brown.edu
Thu Oct 28 12:04:00 EST 1999

At 8:37 AM -0700 10/28/99, Lighthouse Keeper in the Desert Sun wrote:
>On Oct 28, Caitlyn Martin conjectured:
>
> > It is really bad netiquette, particularly on a UNIX list, to send messages
> > in HTML or RTF format.  *Please* use plain text.  At work, where I have to
> > use Microsoft software I can read them, but have you ever seen what HTML
> > looks like in KMail?  Most text-based e-mail programs?
> >
> > Many lists I belong to bounce HTML messages.  Be kind to those of us who
> > don't use Microsoft stuff or Netscape 100% of the time, OK?
> >

>I want to second that!!
>I *know* I already asked that people turn off HTML and stuff.  It does
>annoying things in pine.  It shows up as a 2-part message: 1 part plain
>text; 1 part HTML, please press v to view or save this as a file.  It
>wastes space etc.

The main problem with this might be that the person who is sending
the formatted email may not realize they are doing it. Outlook users
(hint, hint!) especially have no idea that they're sending formatted
email.

I agree with the sentiment, but posting direct to the list is
probably not going to stop it. A politely worded request, perhaps
with a link to instructions, or the instructions themselves, as to
how to turn it off would probably work best.

And just for fun -- I got my Linux box on my network this week! Using
my Win98 box and Internet Connection sharing, I had that dial-up and
then plugged in an internal static IP to linuxconf, and voila,
Netscape worked! Next step -- cable modem (which arrives two weeks
from today!)

Julia Frizzell                        http://www.netspace.org/~glyneth
julia_frizzell at brown.edu                   http://www.theblackroad.org
glyneth at netspace.org                                      ICQ: 8458071
"Now you see the nature of my wife. She giveth from the left hand of
generosity, then puncheth in the face with the right fist of cruel
whimsy." -- Ethan Skemp, on Aileen E. Miles