[techtalk] Please help with c++ compiler @work

Henti Smith hentis at is.co.za
Thu Oct 28 09:19:08 EST 1999

HI there Clare

The error mean the Library Linking rogram could not find the Library stdc++
to link to.
This usually mean the library is not installed, or not int youir library
search path.

first thing to do is check if you have the library.

RedHat Based systems:

type "rpm -q -a |grep stdc++" and see what comes back .. you should at least
have libstdc++-2.x.x or something similar.
If not grab you CD / FTP and install the package :)

If you do have it but still nothing you have ( or you are not on a RH based
system ) use updatedb to update your filesystem DB and then
type "locate libstdc++"

is should give you a location like

"/usr/lib" or "/usr/local/lib" or something/lib.

Then you need to make a note of the path to the library and as root edit
your "/etc/ld.so.conf" file
This file is the mapping to your library directories. If the path is NOT in
there you have to add it.

Once you have a:) installed the RPM b:) located the library and added the
path in ld.so.conf then you need to update the ld DB.
type "ldconfig -v | grep stdc++" and you should get a responce like
libstdc++.so.x.x =>libstdc++.so.x.x

that should add the library for compile time linking ..

Try again and it should work..

Henti / bain