[techtalk] logins

Nicole colby at wsu.edu
Wed Oct 27 14:28:44 EST 1999

i know that "special characters" cause problems at the head of *nix logins
(like _ - * $ etc), but do numbers qualify as such a "special character"?

The _ and - can be used within the login (as can numbers), but it's when
they lead a login that they cause problems.

Someone with a login that is *all* numbers is having a problem logging
in... can login *eventually*, but never on the first try.

I tried man adduser (useradd) and it didn't help me ;o)

login
   Specifies the new login name of the user.  It can be a string of any
   printable characters, except a colon (:) or newline (\n) character.

any ideas? we called our local unix guru(s) but they have yet to get back
to us ;o)

-nicole