[techtalk] Radius

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Wed Oct 27 18:48:08 EST 1999

On Wed, Oct 27, 1999 at 01:00:13PM -0400 or thereabouts, MisDirector wrote:
> I'm having some trouble with Livingston Radius.

I've never heard of this, sorry. But --

> I'm trying to run Radius on RedHat 6.0.  When I try to run the Radius Daemon
> I receive an error "cannot open 'libdb.so.1'".  Indeed, the file isnt even
> there.  I searched the entire hard drive, the redhat cd's, and the Radius
> software and 'libdb.so.1' is nowhere to be found.  In all instances, the
> libraries start with so.2.
>
> Perhaps there's just one little step that I'm missing (or, maybe it's a BIG
> step).
>
> Any suggestions?

Well, I found it on my system. The short answer is that it's provided
by the 'aout-libs' package, which is presumably on your CD, as mine
apparently came from the Red Hat 6.0 upgrade I did. Mine is version 1.4:
aout-libs-1.4-9.

I found this with rpm. If anyone wants encouragement with trying to
remember the multitude of silly rpm options, and a reason why they're
occasionally helpful, then here's what you can do if you do remember
them! (I'm feeling quite proud now!) If you don't use it, or you use
Debian or Slackware, feel free to hit delete here. I added some
comments, tabbed in. If everyone knows these already, sorry. I have
only just got the hang of them well enough to find them really useful,
so I thought I'd share :)

####

[hobbit at aloss ~/CVS/gnome-libs]$ locate libdb.so.1
/usr/i486-linuxaout/lib/libdb.so.1
/usr/i486-linuxaout/lib/libdb.so.1.85.1

	locate is massively useful. You don't need the entire name
    file: but the shorter the part of the filename you give, the more
    chance you have of throwing up entirely unrelated files.

	Conclusion from that: it definitely exists :) So to find out
    which package the file came from:

[hobbit at aloss ~/CVS/gnome-libs]$ rpm -qf /usr/i486-linuxaout/lib/libdb.so.1

aout-libs-1.4-9

	rpm -qf: query file and tell me which package it came from.
	I've never heard of the answer, so find out more:

[hobbit at aloss ~/CVS/gnome-libs]$ rpm -qi aout-libs
Name        : aout-libs                    Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 1.4                               Vendor: Red Hat Software
Release     : 9                             Build Date: Thu Sep 10 09:39:58 1998
Install date: Sat Aug  6 01:27:51 2005      Build Host: porky.redhat.com
Group       : Libraries                     Source RPM: aout-libs-1.4-9.src.rpm
Size        : 3751769                          License: distributable
Packager    : Red Hat Software <bugs at redhat.com>
Summary     : Compability libraries for old a.out applications
Description :
Old Linux systems used a format for programs and shared libraries called
a.out while newer ones use the ELF format. In order to run old a.out
format programs, you need the a.out format libraries which this package
provide. With it, you are to run most a.out format packages for text,
X, and SVGAlib modes.

	rpm -qi: query for information about a package
	(Please ignore the install date on my machine: I had a slight
    accident with the clock back when I upgraded from Red Hat 5.2 to
    Red Hat 6.0!) Hmm. So that's what it is. Wonder what other files
    it provides? Oh, wait, the output of this command is usually horribly
    long so let's cut it down a bit:

[hobbit at aloss ~/CVS/gnome-libs]$ rpm -ql aout-libs | grep libdb
/usr/i486-linuxaout/lib/libdb.so.1
/usr/i486-linuxaout/lib/libdb.so.1.85.1

	rpm -ql: query list of files a package provides. I know from
    experience it's usually horrendously long, but I was just idly
    curious what else it provided, so I added the "| grep libdb" in
    there to cut down on the number of files I'd get. I tried again,
    without the piping through grep, and got 33 files, so there's quite
    a few :)

I hope that wasn't all desperately boring.

Telsa