[techtalk] Flatscreen monitors

Steve Kudlak chromexa at ovis.net
Mon Oct 25 22:42:24 EST 1999

jenn at simegen.com wrote:

> Amanda Owens wrote:
>
> > Now, there *are* folks who are always more sensitive to such things as
> > others (or else Jenn wouldn't have brought the subject up in the first
> > place). Minimizing exposure (like one might not stand *right* next your
> > microwave while it's on, or the nurse hiding behind an iron wall while
> > she takes your x-ray) is always a good idea.
>
> Exactly. I appear to be one of them - a canary, of sorts. Chronic
> Fatigue Syndrome, Multiple Chemical Sensitivity, and while it looks
> like we're beating it, it's resisting /as if/ I'm still exposed to
> something we haven't figured out yet.
>
> So, since I spend hours/day at the computer.. we're looking into
> getting me a flatscreen monitor. In case that's it.
>
> > (of course, I have to believe in medical research - that's what I do for
> > a living. ;)
>
> Shall I let you know if it makes a difference? I know anecdotal stuff
> 'in the wild' isn't research, but it can trigger research. :)
>
> Jenn V.
> --
>   Humans are the only species to feed and house entirely separate species
>      for no reason other than the pleasure of their company. Why?
>
> jenn at simegen.com        Jenn Vesperman        http://www.simegen.com/~jenn/
>
> ************
> techtalk at linuxchix.org   http://www.linuxchix.org

I know there are individual things. Like for example I can here the 15,270Hz
sound. many can't. TVs and old monitors make this. I jokingly call it the
raster scan vibration. :) I near it it doesn't bother me. A friend and his
mother here it and it drives them up the wall. Me usually perfume doesn't
bother me. If I get sick on out get the flu it neauseates me to the point to
almost vimiting. So I think something is there, and in some these things. So
ggod luck. Seems LCD shouldn't produce anywhere near the amount of ER output. I
know overcranking TV tubes by raising the HF produced soft x-rays.

Wild "Science FOr KIds" book in the 1940s told how to do this, aneat stuff you
could do with an x-ray tube. Today we would shudder at the thought.

Have Fun,
Sends STeve