[techtalk] Would like advice on building system

Cathy James cjames at opensite.com
Mon Oct 25 12:16:49 EST 1999

OK, I am leaning toward the following configuration:

	AOPEN HX08 full tower with 300W power supply
	FIC PA2013 VIA MVP3 w/2MB, fan
	128M RAM
	K6-3-450

Plus stuff I already have and can reuse:
	Monitor
	Keyboard
	Floppies

Stuff I haven't figured out yet:
	CDROM
	Hard disk

	What else do I need?  I've found all this stuff
on MWave, and the prices seem reasonable.  Unfortunately,
they don't seem to have any 5400 RPM drive kits >10G in stock,
and I won't order something not in stock.  If I order a "bare"
drive, what do I need with it?  Just a cable?  A cable and
some kind of screw/support rack?

	A sound card isn't critical, but would be nice to
have.  Am I better off buying a Creative Labs CDROM/sound
kit, rather than a CDROM now and a sound card later?  (This
is going to be an IDE machine, no SCSI.)

	Any advice on mounting stuff in particular would be
appreciated -- I need to know *now* if some of this stuff
isn't going to come with the screws and brackets I need,
so I can order those too.

	--Cathy James