[techtalk] Older versions of distros

Samantha Jo Moore sjmoore at TheTahoeGroup.com
Wed Oct 20 10:08:40 EST 1999

Ericka,

> I finally got around, last night, to cleaning off my second hard drive in
> preparation of installing linux & I have a few questions before I start.
> One is:  Is there any overwhelming reason that I should get the very
> latest version of linux, or would installing an older one be ok?  I
> already have a copy of Redhat 5.0 and I was just going to go ahead and
> install that.

I suggest that if you want to install Red Hat, install a version not less
than 6.0.  My experience is that 5.2 has a major bug in the masquerading
firewall software.  I took me about a year to figure out what the problem
was, and it didn't get cured by upgrading to 6.0.  I had to reinstall the
whole thing from scratch.

Samantha Jo Moore
CTO - The Tahoe Group, Inc.
http://www.thetahoegroup.com